The Justice Bell
The Justice Bell, known as the women’s Liberty Bell, with the addition of “establish justice” to the inscription, was used between 1915 and 1920 to call attention to and gain support for the campaign for Women’s Suffrage. The Bell’s casting was commissioned by Chester County’s Katharine Wentworth Ruschenberger, an active member of the National Women Suffrage Association, which later became the League of Women Voters. The clapper was chained to its side silencing the 2000 pound bell.
On June 15th, 1915 the Justice Bell began a whistle stop tour of Pennsylvania in support of a proposed amendment to the Pennsylvania state constitution giving women the right to vote. The tour covered more than 5000 miles, crisscrossing every one of the state’s 67 counties in less than 6 months. After state amendment number one failed to pass, attention was turned to the introduction of an amendment to the US constitution, and the bell was used to support the cause of Women’s Suffrage at national political party conventions as far away as Chicago and rallies in Washington DC.